Ikoyi Building Collapse: What We Know So Far

    Ikoyi building collapse

    Earlier on Monday 1/11/2021, Vantage News reported the collapse of a 21-storey building in Lagos State, with many people feared trapped inside.

    The building said to be under construction, is located at off Alexander way, Gerrard Road in Ikoyi Lagos State.

    It is not yet clear the number of casualties from the building collapse or how many people that are trapped.

    Building collapse
    Ikoyi Building collapse

    We gathered so far that three survivors and four dead bodies have been rescued from the rubble of the collapsed building as of the time of filing this report.

    Another lucky survivor jumped off into another compound as the 21-storey building was crashing down.

    Ikoyi Building Collapse: What We Know So Far - Vantage News Nigeria
    Collapsed building survivor

    We understood that rescue operation is underway as heavy police presence mounts to prevent sympathizers from crowding the scene and hampering efforts.

    Vantage News has also obtained a letter showing that Prowess Engineering Limited, the company that began the construction of the building which collapsed in Ikoyi, Lagos on Monday withdrew from the project in February 2020.

    The company withdrew its services on grounds that it no longer shared the same vision with its client believed to be Fourscore Heights Limited as addressed in the letter.

    Prowess Engineering Limited, which had constructed two other buildings for its client, said it couldn’t guarantee the integrity of the third (collapsed building) from anything above the fourth floor.

    The letter titled, ‘Re: Proposed Gerrard Terraces For Fourscore Limited,’ was signed by the company’s managing director, Muritala Olawale.

    “This letter is to formally inform you of the withdraw of our structural consultancy service from the above named project. We arrived at this decision due to the fact that we no longer share the same vision with you as our client in terms of how the project is being executed.

    See also  See Twitter Top Trends In Nigeria Today

    “We can guarantee the integrity of the first two buildings and also work done up to the fourth floor of the third building supervised by us provided specifications have been met in terms of the required concrete strength. This we do not have control over as we do not have the concrete cube test results of each stage of the building till date. Also, note that we are not taking responsibility for any other construction errors that may have occurred overtime on the project.

    “Furthermore, we request that our company’s name and logo be removed from the project board and also kindly notify all necessary approving authorities of our withdrawal from the project.

    “We regret this decision and the lost opportunity to do business together. We look forward to future cooperation in other projects.”

    See the letter:

    Ikoyi Building Collapse: What We Know So Far - Vantage News Nigeria
    The letter

    Disclaimer

    Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of Vantage News Nigeria or any employee thereof.

    Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.