The Nigerian Air Force has dismissed Boko Haram’s claim that its fighters downed the missing fighter jet in the northeast.
VANTAGE NEWS reported that a Nigerian Air Force Alpha Jet involved in the fight against terrorism in the North lost radar contact in Borno on Wednesday.
The whereabouts of the jet and two Air Force personnel, Flt Lts. John Abolarinwa and Ebiakpo Chapele is still unknown.
Boko Haram in a viral video released on Friday, claimed that it gunned down the missing jet.
The Abubakar Shekau-led faction of the Islamic sect released the footage of a crashed jet with one of its fighters standing on the wreckage. A body was also seen in the wreckage of the aircraft.
Reacting to the claim, NAF spokesperson, Edward Gabkwet, said nothing in the video proves that the aircraft in the clips belonged to the Nigerian Air Force.
He said, “We have seen some videos but there is nothing that has proven that the aircraft in those clips belongs to us, or have you seen a Nigerian Air Force aircraft number or the body of Air Force pilot or have you seen any Air Force uniform? Until we get all these details, we are not going to go into speculation.
“That video could have been shot somewhere. I have seen four videos so far; one of them has lush vegetation in the background, and I wonder where they have such vegetation in the Northeast. Unless they did something and they are releasing the clips bit by bit, we are waiting.
“Except we have evidence, because like I said, these persons have families and you cannot go to their wives, parents or wards, without concrete evidence. There must be something to show.”