More than 32 people have reportedly list their lives and dozens wounded after a twin suicide bombing ripped through a crowded market in central Baghdad on Thursday January 21.
This is the deadliest blasts in nearly three years to have hit the Iraqi capital.
The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) also known as the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) and also known by its Arabic acronym Daesh has claimed responsibility for the terror attacks.
According to Iraqi Interior Ministry, the first attacker drew a crowd at the bustling market in the capital’s Tayaran Square by claiming to feel sick, then detonated his explosives belt.
While more people flocked the scene to help the victims, a second suicide bomber set off his explosives.
This would make the first twin bombing in Baghdad since January 2018, when 35 people were killed and 90 injured in the same square.
The square is an open-air market, where second-hand clothes are sold at stalls.
This square has been teeming with people after the lifting of nearly a year of COVID-19 restrictions across the Middle Eastern country.
An AFP news agency photographer at the scene said security forces had cordoned off the area, where blood-soaked clothes were strewn across the muddy streets and paramedics were rushing to take away the casualties.
The Health Ministry said those who lost their lives had died on the scene of the attack, and that most of the wounded had been treated and released from hospital.
After midnight, ISIL posted a claim of responsibility for the attack on its online propaganda channels.