Breaking: NECO Releases 2020 SSCE Results

0
96
NECO
Breaking: NECO Releases 2020 SSCE Results - Vantage News Nigeria
NECO

The National Examinations Council (NECO) has announced the release of the 2020 Senior School Certificate Examination results.

Registrar of the Council, Professor Godswill Obioma disclosed this on Wednesday while speaking at the NECO headquarters in Minna, the Niger State capital.

While giving details about the conduct of the examination, Obioma said that four schools in Adamawa State, two each in Kaduna, Katsina and Niger States as well as one each in Taraba State the FCT were derecognised by the Council for engaging in various forms of examination malpractices.

Obioma, who thanked stakeholders for the successful conduct of the election in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic and #EndSARS protests, announced that the Council blacklisted 24 supervisors who engaged in aiding and abetting examination malpractices.

He said, “You will recall that the first case of Covid-19 in Nigeria was reported in February 2020, in Ogun State and since then a new norm has been introduced in the scheme of things. This new norm has altered not only our way of life but also affected our schedule of activities. For instance, our 2020 SSCE (I) would have been written from 28th May 2020 to 10th July 2020.

“However, due to the Covid-19 Pandemic, the Examination was rescheduled to hold from Monday 5th October 2020 to Wednesday 18th November 2020. It is rather unfortunate to note that barely two weeks into the commencement of the Examinations, the EndSARS protests erupted across some states in the country leading to the imposition of curfew and closure of schools by some State Governments in order to safeguard lives and property, thus truncating the process of examinations once more.

“For the security of personnel and materials, the examinations were suspended nationwide pending when normalcy returned. On return of normalcy, the examinations that were initially scheduled to end on Wednesday, 18th November 2020 continued till 28th of November 2020.”

Obioma announced that candidates that missed some papers due to the #EndSARS protests will write the papers missed as the Council has made special arrangements for that.

“We wish to inform the general public that the Council has made special arrangements for those candidates who missed some papers due to the EndSARS protests in those states. The affected candidates will now sit for those papers missed during the forthcoming 2020 SSCE (External) scheduled from Monday 1st February 2021 to Wednesday 3rd March 2021.

“These special arrangements will be at no extra cost to these candidates. Upon the release of the 2020 SSCE Internal results, those of the affected candidates will be pending for the papers missed and would be subsequently updated after the supplementary examination results are released.”

A breakdown of the examination statistics as revealed by Obioma shows that a total of 1,221,447 candidates registered for the examination. Among them are 665,830 males and 555,617 females.

He however stated that only 1,209,992 candidates sat for the examination.

A total of 894,101 candidates representing 73.89% made five credits and above including English and Mathematics. The figure represents a 2.3% increase from the 2019 examination figures where 829,787 candidates credited five subjects including English and Mathematics.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.