The panel the Lagos State government set up to probe police brutality and Lekki shootings has rejected the request of the Lekki Concession Company (LCC) to take possession of the tollgate.
LCC suspended activities at the toll plaza after the shooting of October 20, 2020, with soldiers dispersing #EndSARS protesters who blocked the toll gate for 13 days.
The events at the tollgate sparked violence as an angry mob destroyed some facilities at the toll plaza and other places.
Rotimi Seriki, counsel to LCC, operators of the toll gate, on Tuesday, asked the panel to allow the firm to take possession of the tollgate in order to evaluate the level of damage ahead of making insurance claims.
“My humble request is that if the tribunal doesn’t have further need to visit the plaza, the LCC should be permitted to take back possession of the toll plaza for the purpose of evaluation of the damage and commence the process of carrying out necessary repairs,” he had said.
Responding to LCC’s request, Doris Okuwobi, chairperson of the panel, agreed with LCC on the evaluation of the level of damage but she said the panel will not grant its request yet.
She asked Seriki to encourage his client to make the request after the panel is done with the footage submitted earlier in the day.
She also said the panel might pay another visit to the tollgate.